Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Everyone I know has seen the movie When Harry Met Sally. I am so tied to this conviction that last evening, I believed, even I had seen it before. You see, considering Star Movies, HBO, ZEE MGM (our respected movie channels) -- they've done rounds to kill every certain really decent movie, even the one's worth watching for the second time -- by playing it for 257 times at prime times (say 9 to 10 pm on all bloody days).
So this movie, right, it was pretty cool. You know, not the one you really love, but will watch it for the heck of it. Meg Ryan (Sally) looks that kind of a cute chick, the early days of hers I think, and there's Billy Crystal (Harry) whose meant to be this smart alec, talk fast, proves a point and fuck off kinds. It's a typical romantic flicks, no wait a minute, the not-so-romantic kinds actually, and is kind of cool the way they let you speculate on certain points of the almost slow flick.
But there was this one particular scene, in the beginning, where Harry's just met Sally and is making a long road trip, that he says, a guy can never be friends with a woman. They just always want to sleep with them and that's all, irrespective, perhaps, to whether they are attractive or not. And that perhaps sounded a bit true, for humility's sake not that much, but ya just a little. But I also think I have heard this line once before in my life, (maybe I had really watched this movie, and after 4 beers one really expects things like this to happen and make it all unexcpected, right?) Forget it.
No so where was it that I had heard this one? On the playground outside school, during nursey days, while chucking sand at each other? No. Outside the Mess during the boarding school days? No. Actually couldn't be, cause no one actually even tried to make sense there. Then where? Anyway it'll come, I think.
So, where was I? Oh yes. So when this part was said, apart from thinking where I had heard this one before, I also felt that this was somewhat true. Okay, okay -- may not happen with me all the time to all the women friends -- but it does happen, I guess, when it concerns with us, male kinds in general, is that better? No, okay, one theory to prove it: homosexual men do make better friends with girls (sometimes the really hottest ones, this I know for sure) better than your average 'dude, wasssup kinds.' Is this a debate about infidelity? No dude, I'm not Karan Johar, you know.
I actually really don't know if that's true. I know its not even serious, at this time -- when the China guy and his wife are around blocking the traffic in Del or making great 'bilateral' deals or US is fucking up with Iraq and the trying to look bright about it -- or at any bloody time. But, anyway, randomly wondering, so is it true? Goddammit I know I have work.

10 Comments:

Blogger SIM said...

oh dude, this is serendipitious..me n my colleagues were just talking bout the movie...

5:09 PM, November 22, 2006  
Blogger Spider42 said...

dude this is one confused post!

6:06 PM, November 22, 2006  
Blogger whitelight said...

Ah! The pre-dinner congregations outside the senior mess. Man I miss Mayo.

6:19 PM, November 22, 2006  
Blogger jairaj said...

serendipity: I don't know why I wrote this. Heck, everyone's seen it so many times, its bound to come across. :)

dude: I know man. I try very hard to make sense, I guess everyone tries so hard to make. Naa, was just gettin bored actually.

Whitelight: In our times, all the middle senior houses turned into verticles. So, well, this was Middle Mess. But ya, those one's.

inexile: Dude, you made pretty good sense. But that wasn't the point I was realising...hehe...

11:27 PM, November 22, 2006  
Blogger Prerona said...

i doubt that its true. i have tonnes of straight male friends. i think the conflict is in the reason he gives as to why men and women can never be friends ... i dont think an impulse comes in the way of a friendship, its what you do with it and how that goes down. i mean, u might think about some female friend that way, but u might not act on the thought, just push it away. or u might act on it but in some bizzare equation, it might be ok with her. and i am sure there are millions other such permutations

what was in the infidelity angle you brought in? i didnt get that!

5:10 AM, November 23, 2006  
Blogger moonstruck maniac said...

i to (hindi waala) didnt get anything.
why is this post here jerry

3:16 PM, November 23, 2006  
Blogger whitelight said...

My CD is in a bad shape dude. It is nearly 4 years old now. I will have to download again. Anyway the moment I will do that I'll send it to you. Or probably will catch up with you when I'm in Delhi. In Jan probably.

4:24 PM, November 23, 2006  
Blogger jairaj said...

cool! thanks man...

Above: Terribly sorry. Was just weirdly musing aloud.

4:55 PM, November 23, 2006  
Blogger Lil Mizfit said...

hmmm...gay men do make better friends with women most of the time. exception to the rule are also there--my very straight best friend n i share a very nice close relationship sans anything sexual. but i guess it is rare.

5:34 PM, November 23, 2006  
Blogger moonstruck maniac said...

it is mizfit it is
and i would quote a similar example of me and my freind too
but it is very rare
actually she is bisexual also
mizfit dont roll your eyes now

1:35 AM, November 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

html hit counter
Download html hit counter code for your website.