Tuesday, July 31, 2007

So Harry Potter’s not dead? That’s a terrible shame. Now I know that while it’s in fashion these days to be a Harry Potter Fan, it’s also cool not be a Harry Potter Fan – but I had actually something different to look forward for, while fans I know were scratching days on the walls for the day to come last week. Oh Harry! You see I have my reasons, just as you had headaches.
I’m an over-grown Harry Potter Fan, but when I first picked up the first three books, Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban – it was one of those warm summer holidays in 1999. Young and impressionable that I was then in 8th class, with Enid Blyton fairytales in my head, Harry Potter seemed plain interesting and simple to follow.
Another year passed, with another oblivious summer holiday gone, and I had my folks parcelling the Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire to me in my boarding school in Ajmer.
Till all this while I had nothing to complain, Harry Potter seemed no commercial success to me – and with a Booker in the pocket, I was told that even some oldies were enjoying reading it too. I guessed that they didn’t want to lag with time, and that was all.
But at that time I pictured no kid waiting an entire night for a bookshop to open early next morning, and I couldn’t see myself to believe that any bookshop would ever open for these nocturnal kids. But one evening, many distant moons away, I swear I heard Sir Will groaning.
When Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix was released in 2003, three years had whizzed passed me, and while I had discovered Douglas Adams, Tolkein, Vonnegut and other of their quirky likes. I gave the book a shot, and look I found myself bored.
That was it, I wasn’t going to watch the movies, and I wasn’t going to reread the series to make new girlfriends – but from plot summaries on the net I followed the plot till the very end, very secretly.
And – well, the ending is just lame.
We are told: nineteen years later – which I suppose were as uninteresting as the rest – the bespectacled, magical boy wonder, is all grown up and has kids. What happened to the fans that were growing along with Harry? And so his scar doesn’t hurt anymore? Damn! I think Harry should die, just like Backstreet Boys and hippies now.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Sassy Satan said...

The end was very disappointing indeed. Quite banal by Rowling's standards

11:14 PM, July 31, 2007  
Blogger Renovatio said...

I wrote a long post that blogger didn't feel like sending. In a nutshell, Good to see kids reading, but get them onto something more decent than this and Paolini crap. Kill harry, Kill Eragon, see the brilliant story you pull up then.

11:40 PM, July 31, 2007  
Blogger Vatsala said...

yuss yuss

2:15 AM, August 04, 2007  
Blogger Saattvic said...

i agree wholeheartedly. you know, i smell an opportunity rowling's left herself to milk the brand even further when she's done spending the billions she's made. a la george lucas!

12:07 AM, August 05, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

html hit counter
Download html hit counter code for your website.