Sunday, January 07, 2007

Its extremely, quite bitterly cold in New Delhi. The first week of January has brought down the winters to a few degrees. My hands are cold, and while I type, I take a bit longer than usual, as I lower my hands to warm them next to the heater in my room. Its nice around this time, if I don't think about the cold. Listening to Rolling Stones' Rock 'n' Roll Circus, which I just bought, some of the songs are brilliant -- thank you Red Herring. The new re-jigged album of The Beatles, fun I shall say. Had two rum n' cokes at Haze, while I waited for my Old Man to get over with work. Mother prepared some brilliant fried fish -- no-no, I'm not a Bengali -- for dinner. Work is good; killing, but very alright. Haven't been studying as much as I must be. College would be getting over soon -- that seems pretty cool to me. My tarot reading is well -- some wishy-qashy forecast ahead though, but says good things.
-----------------------------------
Obnoxious. Throw a fucking stone in the country's most populated spot and you're bound to hit a fucking pervert. The last two weeks -- and I know its been on since a lifetime for most of all -- the amount of crimes against women I've been coming across seems incredulous.
The other day while I walked to the Metro station. There were a bunch of school girls in their uniforms -- they must have been 5th class -- walking ahead of me, while I was a few step behind. On my left was a park that was enclosed by a tall iron fence railing and behind it was this small park with a few swings. A few steps, a few conversations in my mind, I heard -- and I'll admit for the very first time, what lewd remarks to women sound like. To my utter disgust, they were coming from a bunch of guys (say 15-16 old) from the swings. The girls ahead of me walked indifferently through the rude calls to them, as though lost in their child-like minds; oblivious. While I stared at those freaks as though I'd shove the iron rods from the railing up there you-know-where. What amazed me -- were these girls. Its a pity that at such an age, they've learnt the biggest tragic flaw of womanhood: being subjected and inflicted to misery. It left me quite upset and disturbed.
What happened at Gateway of India -- was terrible; and even Noida, to bring it again. How fucked up are we? The Noida case: Moninder is educated (BCS, Stephens), where is our argument leading? The sickness of it all. The desperation?
I know some of you, here, keep raising these questions. Much better than I am attempting. You, I know, who travel through its torrents everyday.
Sure India's becoming a 'superpower' but its actually been progressing in such a decieving fashion. Beneath the thin layer of economic growth -- there's a world of sluggish mentality issues that have to be answered. Where are we heading with all this, if we can't tolerate ourselves.

13 Comments:

Blogger whitelight said...

Haven’t heard Love yet. Been getting good feedback though. Check out Pitchfork's review of the album. Superbly written.

2:15 PM, January 08, 2007  
Blogger whitelight said...

Yeah dude there is something seriously wrong with a lot of men here.

2:32 PM, January 08, 2007  
Blogger TheDragon said...

Ah but its so easy to become those people (not just men, cos there are some seriously sick women out there too), because at some point, we have all been a victim of something.

6:48 PM, January 08, 2007  
Blogger IR said...

we have lost the respect for other human beings,but mostly crimes such as the one in gateway(noida was a demented mind) or what you saw around the metro station stem from a attitude that the law is toothless

in places like dubai,singapore- also expanding rapidly and melting pot of d/f people (much more than mumbai or delhi)people behave themselves,because they know the law is effective

12:54 PM, January 09, 2007  
Blogger medusa said...

the problem however with saying that it is a problem with some or a lot of men is that it takes attention away from the fact that sexual abuse/ molestation/ harrassment is structural to our societies. isolating, or demonising the men takes attention away from the real problem at hand

7:09 PM, January 09, 2007  
Blogger Hopelessly Hopeful said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:47 PM, January 09, 2007  
Blogger Hopelessly Hopeful said...

Hi there!
Been reading your blog for sometime. Had to switch to the new blogger just to leave comments on your site :-)

7:48 PM, January 09, 2007  
Blogger Devilled said...

It's sad when the law is not enforced, but it's sadder that people need laws to enforce certain basic rules of humanity.

10:47 AM, January 10, 2007  
Blogger borgub said...

jerry! you write so powerfully, i'm hoping a book comes out of all this, man! too many things to comment on but among them yes, freaks like those should totally get the rod treatment, The Departed RULED!! and also...how's the heart now? ok seriously time to catch up now non-virtually

11:33 AM, January 10, 2007  
Blogger jairaj said...

whitelight: Will read the review man. The album's pretty cool, its fun for those who love the stuff anyway. Go for it.

m: That's true. Everyone, including self, go through tremendous shit.

ir: The law is good, but that shoudldn't be the criteria. Laws are binding; it doesn't eliminate the madness, I think it makes the mentality go more repressed which leads to stuff like Noida. Its the mentality that has to be cleared.

medusa: That's true. I'll be honest, I'm no social service kind that can sermonise well-thinking. But I do hope, they realise that harm against women is a humanity issue. Teasing or troubling a women, is wrong. Its just not justifiable. Here the law can bring an impact. But when people start to realise they're own crimes, I look for that day.

hopeful: thank you. :) I shall find yours.

devilled: ditto!

amrita: :) meet ye soon! thanks!

1:44 PM, January 10, 2007  
Blogger Prerona said...

Hmmm
Happy New Year :)

2:11 PM, January 10, 2007  
Blogger hedonistic hobo said...

moninder and surinder are obviously mentally afflicted but the regular joes you described. there's no excuse for their behavior. and eve teasing 5 the graders for fucksake! but that's delhi for you. i think the worst i ever suffered was when i was in 7th grade. i must have been what 11-12 years old. grrrrrrr...........

5:27 PM, January 21, 2007  
Blogger hedonistic hobo said...

@ir and @ medusa: i agree with medusa. we're steeped in a culture that sanctions, encourages and even valorizes this behaviour. it's not just about men, but men, women, culture and society.

5:32 PM, January 21, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

html hit counter
Download html hit counter code for your website.