Monday, March 05, 2007

"I don't even know if I'm white with black stripes or black with white stripes." - Madagascar
There's something about Holi I just loathe. The whole getting smothered with charcoal, colours and glass -- you come home looking like a howling ghost. It's been like that since I was a kid, never ever went out with the rest on the streets. It never worked.
This time was different. Vaz called and we were going to a farm-place near the Village, along with the crew: Champak, lil Surd, Chazz and Polite Killer.
The friend's place comes after a hilly patch of road, scenic enough for Mary to keep you humble, while you search the endless horizons for dreamy souls. Endless beers were thrown when we reached, the process of getting coloured was easy -- the million kids threw some buckets of blue water, you didn't mind. The folks in charge were chilling in their own cheesy drunkenness, leaving us to hang around around the pool, some lot were getting drunk, the others having a good time with their drinks.
While I chilled on the lawns, munching some Munakka -- that Pirate has for breakfast with milk -- over couple of beers watching everyone thrown into the pool. Lost in complete haze of time, wondering poetry searching Kerouac, metamorphosing Ionesco to Kafka to one simple dream.
It was my turn to be thrown in. Although getting into water was not a good idea with the wintry breeze on a sunny afternoon -- the water took me in almost caringly, as though it was waiting for me, and I dived a perfect one. I swam a bit. Then came out lit up a cigarette, thrown back again. Found somebody's spectacles in it -- the few girls, in and out of the pool, seemed sweet but too lost in themselves.
The afternoon got Champak smashed, trust him to be the first guy. You of course know -- he starts laughing and he doesn't stop. Not the best thing you would like when the car's stopped by cops reasoning excuses for some dough. But then it was cool.
Reached home, had a hot shower, slept, woke up for dinner, some guests were there -- and it was great. The darn Munakka was working now, now I'm no regular pothead, but man this felt like 3 j's tripping you when you know you haven't smoked.
Everything went coolly, I was talking about serious things -- and then there were these small waves of raptures that kept the ebb and flow of my senses to the beaches of mind. The after dinner tea and smoke, made me meet the ghost of Kerouac. I blew smoke rings around the moon, followed the movement of dark shadows of trees and streetlamps on the streets, listened to Velvet Underground, Cream and a bit of Cohen -- and found reason at the end of a clay cup of despair. She was very kind.
----------------------
Got down to watching Polanski's Chinatown, was hugely impressed. Spending some evenings now with Virginia Woolf and Mrs Dalloway. The Wild Child is leaving the place, sort of sad. Will miss her for being there.
-----------------------
Hey, the last post, you know, I've done all that, bu I'm not doing that anymore. So it goes.

9 Comments:

Blogger Priya said...

Lks like you had a great fun with colors of happiness.

11:08 PM, March 05, 2007  
Blogger Spider42 said...

nice man, sounds like you had a kiler holi... just enough of everything fun and little enough of the rest to not spoil it!

and btw, dude youre writings always been good, but this is one of the best written posts ive read in a while... poetic but not pretentous, engaging but not overpowering, just right... kudos..

cheers...

9:07 AM, March 06, 2007  
Blogger Devilled said...

Happy Holi! Or something.

10:29 AM, March 06, 2007  
Blogger Optimistically Pessimistic said...

:) happy holi to u too..

12:53 PM, March 06, 2007  
Blogger Renovatio said...

My holi was nothing nearly as exciting as yours... I pulled myself out of bed around one in the afternoon in the general direction of a ringing phone, found a disappointing ghujiya on the dining table, and the rest of the day went into studying for this damn exam I just finished up with... I did sort of celebrate at night though, got the munchies around two in the morning and went through the larger part of a chocolate cake...

3:41 PM, March 06, 2007  
Blogger moonstruck maniac said...

munakka is good for breakfast. and well holi was lost in rum punch that had less rum and more of vodka and single malt. funny combination actually

6:28 PM, March 06, 2007  
Blogger ... said...

i sense futility in your words... what is making you so sad? why do you despair so? speak it..to someone... anyone...

8:08 PM, March 06, 2007  
Blogger Snake Anthony said...

'Howling ghost'. I like that. Really enjoyed reading this post. Excellent writing!

PS - Out of curiosity, how did that Madagascar quote pop into your head?

8:41 AM, March 09, 2007  
Blogger jairaj said...

priya: Sure did, i hope you did as well? :)

dude: thanks dude. feels good to hear it from you. remember, the dude abides. will try to keep it this way. getting older doesn't help. cheers...

devilled: to you as well. :)

married types: thanks (very curious: are you married?)

renovatio: i would have done the same thing dude, or well somewhat of it. good times happen. cheers.

maniac: will keep that in mind. :)

xanjukta: There is and there isn't it. Will try...

snake anthony: Hey thanks there. Umm (gulp), okay I admit it, but I thought there shouldn't have been a copyright issue. But of course I thought about the line in the movie as well. But I just found it somewhere on some friend's page. If you know her don't tell her. She seems very sweet, but I'll be honest, I'm a wee bit scared of her. Cheers...

6:18 PM, March 09, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

html hit counter
Download html hit counter code for your website.