Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Helter-Skelter

If I told you that I got employed at the age of 18 in one of the best and recognised newspapers in the country, you would -- even if you are being polite -- still praise me? And if I told you that I for the past two and a half years have been a second division student despite not attending a single formal class of English, you would praise a bit more? Right?
The problem is not this at all. I can, even, despite being a bit of depressionist, cynic and a psessimist, say that I think I have managed. The problem is, if you study or have studied in DU, you would know just how hard the way things work here. In their offices, you know.
Even if they still work, the whole management is a tea-drinking, underarm scratching and relentlessly god-fearing nihilist. Strange I know all this, I still get fucked. What's worse is when you're stuying English under-grad through correspondence. They I assure you have fucked up with my patience, fake smiled face and goodness, a thousand times without batting an eyelid.
How? They send my marksheet in end of October. I can't apply anywhere because of so. Also they gave me a 40 in one paper, 64 in another and 55 in the last. The Hindi subsi I had to repeat, I got 44. My Old Man made fun of me that I knew less of William and more of Premchand ki kahanis.
What more, now I can't even send my first paper for revaluation cause the dates have long passed. More than half the course year has passed, leaving me with six months to know I have to study now and finally come aware of knowing that I have passed.
Being passed, that's a bit dodgy. If some uneducated failed 50 something professor sitting on some rickety chair in backwards of Delhi, with nervous shaking knees, who gets 35.58889 seconds to go through your paper, and is being paid just a bit more than 5 bucks with 2000 papers more to go and a sackful arriving next day. Your marks are very likely to get fucked. What do you do?
Your entire life depends on those marks? If he spills tea or spits paan on your answer sheet, you're a goner man!
The other thing is, have you ever gone to the campus of correspondence in Delhi. No, its no touristy site. But for the heck of it. Try getting some work there -- like getting things signed, paying fees. They are bound to make your walk up in down for hours and hours. You finally end up in the same room with about a thousand students standing on one tile space. The guy will look up and say why didn't you say that before.
Helter-Skelter. If there's a shootout here, I guess nobody would mind.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

bebe!
your life doesn't depend on those marks. TRUST ME! though DU, well all bureaucracy is a slow-moving and silently-killing behemoth the essence to combatting it is to realise that in life nothing's ever settled. and trust me, working at HT or wherever it is you're at would certainly carry you a lot further than a 2-pence DU Correspondence degree. this, i promise you.
i didn't excelt at eco hons dudeee, did absymally by my standards but bounced back. got into this prestigious uni, aced the fucking course (because unlike DU the educational system here does not debilitate your morale or self-discipline with its inherent apathy) but nothing aided me in my quest for academic redemption as the work experience i amassed in the 2 years b/w uni and well uni again. and sure i felt like shiiiiite-all those two years but gotta bite the bullet, persevere and after a while learn to forget the limits the system puts on your creativity.


with warm blessings,
guru hobo ;)

6:55 PM, October 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay! you're on blogger beta now aren't ya? i can finally comment......... :)
how you been machan?

6:55 PM, October 25, 2006  
Blogger jairaj said...

hey thanks Hobo...i shall keep this all in my mind...
was the second post for me? just askng...

9:31 PM, October 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i started working as a freelance journalist when i was 17...screwed my marks over and over again. not because i wasn't capable but because i didn't care. guess what? marks really are not the end and beginning of anything. ultimately what matters is what u do after u complete the formality of getting 'educated' and how u do it.

3:36 PM, October 26, 2006  
Blogger moonstruck maniac said...

dude
i learnt its not studies that will count, i hated and still haet academics; though i would lvoe to pursue it in the right manner and not the screwed up way it is here.
i was told not to be a writer in school and college as my english sucked, at least that is what they said.
then in theatre people asked me to go do a good course and i said hey hello, would that work.
you will go places jerry as yer honest and not coz of the correspondence. by the way it is a good thing if your old man said that ye know more about premchand than shakespeare. i love premchand. infact his way of writing short stories is something that has influenced a lot of hindi writers in india, in the past century. so cool

to add to academics, education has got nothing to do with intelligence.
it never had. cheers!!
have a beer and rock on......

6:30 PM, October 26, 2006  
Blogger simmi said...

this is too close to home...i have been waging a looong battle against the institution im attending....dunno where to begin, maybe i will post it.

most important is that i empathise.

6:05 AM, October 28, 2006  
Blogger jairaj said...

thanks...

2:20 PM, October 28, 2006  
Blogger Y? said...

should i stop feeling bad that am not in du then coz it's more or less the same in bangalore.
sad sad sad.

5:25 PM, October 29, 2006  
Blogger jairaj said...

let me just say that I know your pain. :)

9:45 PM, October 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

html hit counter
Download html hit counter code for your website.